Top Scholarships in Sweden Without IELTS for International Students. Sweden is a great place to live and study. From buzzing larger cities like Stockholm, Gothenburg or Malmö, to cosy university towns like Uppsala and Lund, there’s a place for every taste in Sweden.
If you are enrolling for a degree programme in Sweden as an international student, you will need to show proof of language proficiency to participate in the classes and understand the lectures; some schools will require Swedish, while others will require strong English skills. This piece will show international students how to apply for admission in Swedish schools and gain Top Scholarships in Sweden Without IELTS.
Studying in Sweden is likely to make you feel relaxed because of the good learning environment. Yes, students need to work hard, and expectations are high, but the higher education system is also very flexible and informal. Popular student pastimes include team sports, cultural societies, and outdoor activities (performed very well dressed).
Sweden is home to some of the world’s leading universities providing free education for EU/EEA citizens and those with a permanent Swedish residence permit. Students from countries outside the EU/EEA can as well enjoy other scholarship opportunities and funding to support their education.
How to apply for Admission in Sweden
To apply for admission in Sweden as an international student, applications for Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes are processed through a central application service, Universityadmissions.se. Still, you can also apply directly through the university and program websites. Some universities may require certain documents for admission purposes. However, the general documents required include:
- Identification document
- Record of completed upper secondary education (translated into English)
- University records (translated into English)
- Proof of language proficiency
Additionally, most universities also tend to ask for:
- Motivation letter
- Sample of academic writing
- Recommendation letters from professors and employers
Scholarships in Sweden Without IELTS
There are several scholarships in Sweden without IELTS that international students can take advantage of. Some of these scholarships offer fully-funded opportunities as well as partial scholarships.
- Swedish Institute Scholarship for Professionals
The scholarship supports students enrolled for full-time, one- or two-year master’s programme, and is funded by the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. In 2023 the Swedish Institute is expected to grant about 250 scholarships for master’s degree studies in Sweden. The Scholarship Benefits include:
- Full tuition fee coverage: The fee is paid directly by SI to your Swedish university in the beginning of each semester.
- A monthly payment of SEK 11,000 to cover your living expenses throughout the study period.
- Insurance against illness and accident.
- A travel grant of SEK 15,000 (*11,000 for scholars from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine). This is a one-time payment and does not apply for students already living in Sweden.
- Membership in the SI Network for Future Global Professionals (NFGP) – a platform to help you grow professionally and build a network while in Sweden.
2. ERASMUS+ Scholarships
These scholarships apply to students of all nationalities that want to study for a master’s degree. The Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees (EMJMD) are master’s degrees run by international tertiary institutions worldwide. These degrees allow eligible students to receive a scholarship for an international Master degree.
3. The Visby Programme Scholarships
The Visby Programme provides a number of full scholarships for master’s programmes in Sweden to students from Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine. The scholarship covers the tuition fee, living expenses of SEK 9,000 per month, insurance, and a one-time travel grant of SEK 5,000.
4. Chalmers University of Technology Scholarships
The Chalmers University of Technology offers a broad range of scholarships without IELTS to different students in form of full tuition payments, partial and tuition waivers.
Scholarships under this broad umbrella targeted at students from different locations include;
- The Avancez Scholarship: All students.
- The IPOET Scholarships: All students.
- The Sievert Larsson Scholarship Fund: Thai citizens.
- The US Friends of Chalmers Scholarship: USA citizens.
- Adlerbert Study Scholarship: 143 countries.
Top University Scholarships in Sweden for International Students
- Uppsala University Scholarship
- Lund University Scholarship
- Umea University Scholarship
- Linnaeus University Scholarship
- University of Skovde Masters Scholarship
- Malardalen University Scholarship
- Stockholm University Scholarship
How to Apply without IELTS
Most universities in the Sweden do not require IELTS from students who have completed a previous degree in the English language. Best practice is to contact the admissions department your prospective school for some more detailing.
Because of the many Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes that are taught in English language, English is a must-have in Sweden. Apart from IELTS and other English language proficiency tests, Swedish universities accept as proof of your language skills if you possess any of the following:
- High school studies taught in English
- Previous university studies taught in English