Canada Invites Welders, Carpenters, Plumbers who are Non-Canadians.
The Canadian Government has opened up new migration route for artisans such as welders, carpenters and plumbers from Nigeria and other countries. This policy is targeted at addressing the shortage of skilled trades workers in Canada. This announcement which is captioned “Canada announces the first-ever Express Entry invitations for newcomers with experience in the trades” was made by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
According to the release, Canada’s Express Entry System is now administered to provide a streamlined and efficient pathway for individuals with skills in critical areas.The IRCC announced changes to Express Entry through category-based selection. These changes was to help address labour shortfalls that support an identified economic goals by welcoming persons with certain work experience and language ability to apply for permanent residence.
Express Entry is an online platform utilized by the Government of Canadian to give permanent residence status to skilled workers outside Canada. It is an application management system available to persons who want to immigrate permanently to Canada via the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Trades Program and a portion of the Provincial Nominee Program.
Quick Facts About the Express Entry Invitations
- This first-ever express entry invitations for newcomers with experience in trades is targeted at meeting the high demand for talent and fill vacant position that is needed for the nation’s economic advancement and growth. The first batch of application focuses on candidates with trades expertise in welding, carpentry and plumbing which will help Canada’s construction sector attract the skills it needs across the country.
- This Category-based selection signals Canada’s commitment to attract top global talent and help meet the need for tradespeople to support the economy. These category-based selection rounds will continue throughout the year, alongside general invitation rounds, and more details will be announced subsequently.
- The categories were determined following deep consultations with provincial and territorial stakeholders, partners and the public, as well as a review of labour market needs. A complete list of eligible jobs for the new categories is also available.
Eligible Work Categories
This year’s category-based selection invitations will place emphasis on candidates who possess:
- A strong French language proficiency or
- Work experience in the following fields:
- science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) professions
- trades, such as carpenters, plumbers and contractors
- agriculture and agri-food